Friday, January 16, 2009

General Fazaludin Sayar

Gen Sayar died yesterday in a helicopter crash. He is the top Afghan General for the area I am in. I met the General on two separate occasions and he was a very good man. We have had a close relationship with the General due to us training and working with his soldiers, he was very appreciative of what we were doing to improve the fighting ability of his men and gave us whatever we needed to outfit and train these soldiers. I have added a link below to this story. Keep in mind they fly around in old Soviet helicopters, I have personally flown on these antiques a few times. looking at the weather yesterday while we were out there is no way I would have gotten on a helicopter. The cloud cover was down to about 200 ft above the ground and it was as thick as soup. Just goes to show his dedication to what he was doing. He was one of the good guys over here, the uncorruptable, and he will be missed by his men and his country.

M

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28672729/

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said. He was a great leader among so many soldiers who just didnt seem to care what happens to their country. I am attaching a youtube link to a story about part of his life.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WNJVzQ7Yu8&feature=related

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking back across four years now, it isn't hard to say that General Sayar has been missed. He was one of the great men of modern Afghanistan - one of the untouchables.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've watched the YouTube clip called "camp victory in Afghanistan" today and I would have to say that this clip has been one of the most interesting and intense documenty's I've ever seen. The bond between general sayer and col.shultz displayed in this clip is totally all inspiring. Such a sad loss to know that the general was killed in a helicopter crash too as I would have hoped to see a better ending to this epic journey of loyalty, respect, honor, betrayal, charisma and bravery of the ANA. In my opinion, this would be a great movie. Make it happen Universal Studios!! The struggles of normal life in Afghanistan is something I have taken for granted living here in NZ. I am speechless and lost for words.

    ReplyDelete