Sunday, January 18, 2009

Racism???

I saw this on the news the other day and the more I thought about it the more upset I got. It was on one of those news shows like Dateline or something like that. But they start with this big flashy ominous lead in saying how racism is still alive in America. So I was intrigued and decided to watch. So they begin by interviewing poor Pablo, Pablo says that he never gets served in Restaurants or gets thrown out of stores. Now I am really interested, this guy appeared very normal so why on earth would he being experiencing these disturbing practices? Then the big undercover sting was setup. Poor Pablo is going to go into a crowded fast food joint at lunch and attempt to get served. Let's watch and see how he is treated. Pablo waits patiently in line and when he gets to the counter he places his order in SPANISH! The guy behind the counter says "Hey I'm sorry but I don't speak Spanish can you please order in English" Pablo refuses see Pablo no hablas englis'. So after this goes back and forth for a bit the guy finally says hey I'm sorry I don't know what you are saying please step aside. Then here come the camera crews busting in "Oh Sir, Sir why are you a racist Sir" the guy was mortified "I am not a racist" he responds "Oh yes you are you refused to serve this man because he is Hispanic" Um no, I didn't serve him because I don't speak Spanish. The reporter continued until the poor guy finally confessed to being a RACIST!!! Are you fucking kidding me? I mean really are you kidding me. So this exercise continued, they went to several different Restaurants and got mixed results. Some people got very upset that the person wouldn't speak english and some seriously tried very hard to accommodate as best they could. The end result was always the same cameras bust in charges of racism are thrown around some people got defensive and some just didn't even care.

Ok here is the kicker are you ready for this? Poor Pablo has been living in America for THREE YEARS. Are you serious? Why yes I am. Three years and he has yet to figure out how to order a fucking Sandwich or to at least say the phrase I will have a numero 2 with a coke please. Apparently unless the guy working at your local Subway doesn't speak Spanish, German, Mandarin, and Portugese he is a racist. I have travelled to many many countries throughout the years and I will tell you this, unless I am at the American Embassy or the Airport I do not expect them to speak English. I mean imagine my arrogance if everywhere I went in the world I attempted to conduct all my tansactions in English and screw them if they can't understand me. If I know I am going to be in a country for more than 5 hours I learn enough so that I won't starve. I am now in Afghanistan on a base where all of my business can be conducted in English however out of respect for my host nation I have taken it upon myself to learn key phrases and customs. Imagine living in let's say Germany for over a year and not even taking the time to learn how to order a Sandwich and then crying about my unfortune. Pablo welcome to America we are all imigrants here. I am glad that you are able to work here and provide a better life for your family. Just please for the love of God say it along with me here nice and slow "I will have a Number 2 with a Coke Please"

M

3 comments:

  1. OMG, I am sooo glad I didnt not witness such travesty or else honestly, my TV woulve looked like that one TV on the commercial!!! As you know, I work in an ethnic neighborhood and am almost 100% fluent in Spanish. In my line of work, if one does not speak the language of the customer, then one must go and find an interpreter phone. Okay, fair enough when one if from a way foreign country but from Mexico?!? Ive always wanted to test certain people for their less than 'optimal' English skills by saying I have one million dollars to give them but since they dont speak English, they can not possibly know what I am talking about...lmao Anyway, suffice to say, over the last 20 years of working in that environment, I have learned that all people love their own culture. And ya know what? There is nothing wrong with that!!! Shame on you Dateline for succumbing to the bottom of the barrel....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Post. All readers will definitely like this post. Looking forward to your next post.
    Send gifts to pakistan | cakes to pakistan |Flowers to pakistan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Post. All readers will definitely like this post. Looking forward to your next post.
    Send gifts to pakistan | cakes to pakistan |Flowers to pakistan

    ReplyDelete